5th October 2016
Colourist Interview – Kourtney Ferro
Time for the 2nd of my interviews with some of my favourite Colourists who I collaborated with earlier this year. Lots of you will know Kourtney Ferro from Facebook and for those of you who don’t, here’s the scoop on this USA based Colourista 😉
- Favorite Colouring utensils: Staedtler Fineliners, Prismacolor Premier pencils, Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils, Sakura Gelly Roll Pens, and Faber-Castell Polychromos Soft Pastels
- My favorite colors are: Light Aquamarine and Peacock Green. It’s too hard to pick just one of those!
- Favorite Books: Enchanted Forest, Magical Jungle, Amily’s Adventures in Wonderland by Amily Shen, Daria Song’s books (The Time Garden, The Time Chamber, and The Night Voyage) and Hanna Karlzon’s Dagrommar and Sommarnatt…I have a few other treasured ones as well 🙂
- Favourite image to colour: The fox from Enchanted Forest no doubt!
- My top colouring tip: is layering! Loads of people always wonder how I achieve such smoothed over colors and why they get patches of the white paper left behind. Light, soft layers and building up the color makes blending a breeze!
- My biggest colouring disaster: Oh gosh, definitely when my daughter Ava, who was 2 at the time, got a hold of one of my black Tombow markers and decided to “help” mommy while I was making lunch and scribbled all over my Snow White themed page in Secret Garden after I had just finished drawing and colouring the Evil Queen in witch form. I may have shed a tear or two; there was just no saving her haha. Thank goodness for spare books!
- Why do I love to colour: It helps my anxiety tremendously. It’s also a great aid when I have artist block and am having a hard time drawing something, it just gets all those creative juices flowing without having to think too much. And it’s simply fun to do!
- Where do I colour: I tend to colour in my studio, but I do have a lap desk when I want to be downstairs on the couch with hubby while he’s playing video games or watching tv.
- What inspires my colouring: I tend to be more realistic with my colouring. So I look up google images of flowers or the animals I’m colouring, or even just look outside!
- My dream coloring book would feature: something like Enchanted Forest coming together with Alice in Wonderland or just Disney in general. I’d die for that book haha
Want to see more of Kourtney’s colourful creations? Find her here:
Facebook Page: Kourtney Ferro Art & Colouring
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/kourtneyferro